IAMFT Social Injustice Response & Resources
A vital portion of IAMFT’s mission is “…to maintain the ethical standards of marriage and family therapy; and to represent and promote the well-being of families in Indiana.” The IAMFT Board of Directors is aware of the systemic racism that has taken safety and opportunity for development from Indiana families. Racial injustice has tormented this country and our state for centuries. Recently, this abuse has been highlighted with the murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Dreasjon Reed, and many others. Each of these people were a part of the Midwest, with Mr. Reed being a fellow Hoosier. This is our responsibility to address. Indiana is our community.
As MFT’s, we are responsible for upholding the ethical standards of our mission statement while utilizing our knowledge and skillset to challenge, educate, and advocate for families within our Indiana communities. Ultimately, MFTs are called upon to practice with an anti-racist stance. We can no longer content ourselves with a passive, non-racist stance.
Below is a list of resources you can use immediately to work towards anti-racism in your clinical practice and daily life. As we strive to work within our clinical practice and make adjustments to our daily lives, your IAMFT Board is also committed to addressing racial injustice through ongoing future programming and outreach efforts. We pledge to keep members regularly informed of these plans and activities. If you are aware of a resource that that we have not included, we encourage you to share in the online forum located at www.inamft.org.
Black Lives Matter Resource List
- Systemic Racism Explained - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrHIQIO_bdQ
- Being an Anti-Racist Clinician - https://www.nicabm.com/moving-from-cultural-competence-to-antiracism/?fbclid=IwAR2N9f113FRxE6L1hDpsJSM2SmB2Z8mjJaT2QyZ8YOcc3o1hZBJLQar85H8
- Indy10 – Indianapolis Black Lives Matter https://www.facebook.com/Indy10People/?ref=page_internal
- Indy SURJ – Indianapolis Chapter of Showing Up for Racial Justice https://www.facebook.com/SURJIndianapolis/?ref=page_internal
- Anti-Racism Training (available through June 30, 6 CEUs available) https://www.driep.org/anti-racism-training?fbclid=IwAR2sDciQEzNEMfTIjukI41Hi2jLKjWtb1GyH_aYNk3wLAe28J8cl3bfWRY8
- AAMFT At Home Series: Brittany Packnett-Cunningham https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSfqBu4S_Ic
AAMFT Podcast (can also be found on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, etc.):
- Episode 31: Healing Racial Trauma - https://media.rss.com/aamft/20200604_204215_ccdb8fe0e86c569f145772095e0c3c48.mp3
- Episode 21: MFT Minority Student Experience - https://media.rss.com/aamft/2020-01-09_podcast_episode_21.mp3
- An Invitation to White Therapists - https://medium.com/@hcdawes_32629/an-invitation-to-white-therapists-a04cc93b1917
- Scaffolded Anti-Racism Resources: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PrAq4iBNb4nVIcTsLcNlW8zjaQXBLkWayL8EaPlh0bc/preview?fbclid=IwAR2CYi8ltU-h3OVLdyqF-7kWa4TYPiHSL1EidnfFHMbzYqIdfhhhX1PiV2k&pru=AAABcpprJuY*pugJDk47kiCRlsbBSU3YMw
- Justice in June: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H-Vxs6jEUByXylMS2BjGH1kQ7mEuZnHpPSs1Bpaqmw0/preview?pru=AAABcriNZLE*hhU-pRnrFrfF-b-UrSKn0A
- Anti-Racism Resource Guide: https://tinyurl.com/antiracistresourceguide
- Ways You can Help: https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/
Working with Kids and Families:
- The Inner Work of Racial Justice-Healing Ourselves and Transforming Our Communities Through Mindfulness by Rhonda V. Magee, MA, JD
- Restorative Yoga for Ethnic and Race-Based Stress and Trauma by Dr. Parker drgailparker.com
- Healing Racial Trauma: The Road to Resilience by Sheila Wise Rowe
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin and Robert Bonazzi
- Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?: And Other Conversations About Race by Beverly Daniel Tatum
- Black Lives Matter Meditation for Healing Racial Trauma by Dr. Candice Nicole http://drcandicenicole.com/2016/07/black-lives-matter-meditation/
- Liberate app: Liberate is the #1 meditation app for the Black, Indigenous, and People of Color community. Listen to dozens of guided meditations to ease anxiety, find gratitude, heal internalized racism and microaggressions and celebrate Blackness
- The Safe Place: A Minority Mental Health app geared towards the Black community to bring awareness, education and hope
IAMFT Board Members have been getting requests for information regarding all aspects of telehealth during the Coronavirus. The board is learning about this subject at the same rate members may be and we would like to this forum to be a place where we can all learn from each other. Please post any question/answers you may have here regarding telehealth (platforms, costs, reviews, etc.), telehealth insurance reimbursement (specific to each insurance company), licensing issues and HIPPA concerns or anything else about this subject. Please help others learn from your experiences and please remember, if you have a question, 10 others probably have the same one, so please ask!
Some may have questions about emergency orders and laws related to telehealth in other states, so here is a link to a website that is tracking each state's rules and regulations during this pandemic:Read More